Vivez Bien * Live Well

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Monday Musings - Divine Daybeds

There is something so indulgent about a daybed or a chaise longue. They conjure up images of  reclining with a great book or magazine, a drink and maybe even a delicious little snack and then drifting into a peaceful daytime nap.  These are some of the prettiest I've seen around. Enjoy!

Via

Early daybeds were made in ancient Egypt and consisted of palm sticks tied together with pieces of rawhide. In ancient Indian pictorials, the God Vishnu can be seen reclining on a daybed. In China, daybeds grew in popularity during the Ming Dynasty. The daybed was perhaps the only piece of furniture to offer itself for use 24 hours a day.


Via


 The Greeks used what they called Kline at their symposiums, where men gathered to talk and drink. The Romans borrowed from the Greeks and used daybeds both to sleep and to recline at banquets. Food and drink served at such events was put at a height accessible from the reclining position.
  


Via


During the Victorian Age, the daybed was referred to as a "fainting couch." This piece of furniture had a unique purpose for women. After wearing their tight corsets for long periods of time, women actually became faint and needed to rest. They would retreat to the fainting couch to do this.



Via

Via


Via



Trust the French to add comfort to life – and furniture. Around the 1720s, they developed the chaise longue which literally means "long chair" in French. 



Via

Via


Via


During the reign of Louis XIV, the day bed grew into favor and continued to rise in popularity. Around 1750, during the Louis XV period, a version of the day bed with scrolled-out sides and a long cushioned seat, called the turquoise was introduced. It was a reflection of the lavish lifestyle of Louis XV's court, and a hallmark of both beauty and comfort. 


Via

Via

Via

Via

Via

Via


Via

Via

Via

Via

Via

Via


Via


The proverbial couch used by the patients of Dr. Sigmund Freud was not a couch in the traditional sense. In fact, his couch was essentially a daybed. Not a quite bed and not quite a couch, it was a comfortable place for the patient to lie back and relax. We might not have Freud providing therapy to us, but just relaxing on a beautiful daybed could be therapy enough!




Via
Via


Via

Wishing you all a wonderful week ahead.

Till next time

Sharon x

15 comments:

  1. Don't see these often any longer in homes, though they're in every spa worth its salt. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Presently, I am reclining on my daybed, drinking a glass of rose, with magazines and computer for company...shortly, I will be having a little nap too! Pretty much your description! I love days like this, they don't happen as often as I would like, but they sure are special when they come around:) Beautiful pictures as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous!! Oh how I would love to have a chaise someday! My dad used to have a couch with a chaise on one end and it was the most comfortable spot to snuggle up and read in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Que lindo essas camas, cada uma mais linda que a outra. Todas as imagens são belíssima. Parabéns.
    Tenha um ótimo domingo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love daybeds and have always had one somewhere in my home until lately. They sure come in handy with little ones around as well! These pictures really are beautiful! Thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love daybeds and you picked a wonderful assortment. I hope you're having a wonderful winter.

    XX
    Debra~

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love finding antique Swedish daybeds. Many of the Gustavian ones are so elegant and airy. With a few cushions and pillows, they can be comfortable as well.
    Cheers,
    Loi

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always wanted a day bed. I think they are wonderful and yes I would use it daily to
    read on!!
    I can't decide which one is my favourite though!!
    Pamela xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since I have a soft spot for les meridiennes, this was post was right up my alley! We have a Napoleon III style daybed but alas it has been claimed by Ben,our Golden Retriever!! Such a gorgeous post--wishing you a wonderful week too..
    xo,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sharon, I am going to have to start a new pin board for day beds. Love so many of these!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is that Annie Bahler's place in that last photo?? I was able to buy furniture from her about 8 years ago (before she sold to the trade only) .. gorgeous French/Belgium decor. Beautiful Swedish design and I love the neutrals.

    Have a great week ahead.

    leslie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had a chaise lounge in our master bedroom in our old house and when we moved I gave it away. After seeing all these gorgeous images I'm sorry I did!! Have a great week Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd like to curl up in one of those right about now. So cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sharon,
    I'm in the market for a day bed, but these might be too fancy for a study where our granddaughter will sleep when she visits. Still, very pretty.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my, this post speaks to me. So many of these photos are in my inspiration folders, or already on my blog or on my Pinterest boards. I'm a big fan of chaise lounges and I'm relaxing in one as I write this ;-)

    ReplyDelete